Amazon web service is a stage that allows adaptable, secure, scalable, easy-to-use and cost-effective cloud computing services.
AWS is a large, easy to use computing platform proposed Amazon. The platform is produced with a mixture of infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS) and packaged software as a service (SaaS) offerings.
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing is a method applied to store and access data across the internet. It doesn’t save any data on the hard disk of your own machine. Meanwhile cloud computing, you can obtain data from a remote server.
History of AWS
- 2002- AWS platform launched
- 2006- Launched AWS cloud services
- 2012- Holds first client case
- 2015- Shares incomes produced of $4.6 billion
- 2016- Exceeded $10 billion revenue target
- 2016- Announcement snowball and snowmobile
- 2019- Offers almost 100 cloud services
Significant AWS Services
Amazon Web Services proposes a comprehensive range of various market purpose global cloud-based products. The products cover storage, databases, analytics, networking, mobile, development tools, business applications, with a pay-as-you-go pricing rule.
AWS essential services.
AWS Compute Services
Here, are Cloud Compute Services offered by Amazon:
- EC2(Elastic Compute Cloud) – EC2 is a virtual machine in the cloud on which you have an OS-level command. You can operate this cloud server whenever you need it.
- LightSail -This cloud computing tool automatically deploys and operates the computer, storage, and networking abilities needed to run your applications.
- Elastic Beanstalk — The tool allows automatic deployment and provisioning of sources like an extremely scalable production website.
- EKS (Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes) — The tool offers you to Kubernetes on the Amazon cloud environment without installation.
- AWS Lambda — This AWS service permits you to run functions in the cloud. The tool is a great cost-saver for you as you to pay only when your functions perform.
Migration services related to shifting data really between your database and AWS.
- DMS (Database Migration Service) -DMS service can be used to transfer on-site databases to AWS. It benefits you to transfer from one kind of database to another — for example, Oracle to MySQL.
- SMS (Server Migration Service) – SMS migration services empower you to transfer on-site servers to AWS smoothly and swiftly.
- Snowball — Snowball is a small application that empowers you to transfer terabytes of data inside and outside of the AWS ecosystem.
- Amazon Glacier- It is a very low-cost storage service. It gives reliable and fast storage for data archiving and backup.
- Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS)- It gives block-level storage to work with Amazon EC2 instances. Amazon Elastic Block Store volumes are network-attached and remain independent from the life of an instance.
- AWS Storage Gateway- This AWS service is connecting on-premises software applications besides cloud-based storage. It allows for reliable integration within the company’s on-premises and AWS’s storage support.
- IAM (Identity and Access Management) — IAM is a secure cloud security service that benefits you to control users, specify policies, form groups to handle multiple users.
- Inspector — It is an agent that you can install on your virtual machines, which reports all security vulnerabilities.
- Certificate Manager — The service allows free SSL certificates for your domains that are controlled by Route53.
- WAF (Web Application Firewall) — WAF security service allows application-level security and permits you to block SQL injection and assists you to block cross-site scripting attacks.
- Cloud Directory — This service permits you to build flexible, cloud-native directories for maintaining hierarchies of data with various dimensions.
- KMS (Key Management Service) — It is a controlled service. This security service encourages you to create and manage the encryption keys which lets you encrypt your data.
- Organizations — You can create collections of AWS accounts practicing this service to controls security and automation settings.
- Shield — Shield is controlled DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service protection service). It allows protection against web applications running on AWS.
- Macie — It allows a data visibility protection service that helps organize and guard your sensitive crucial content.
- GuardDuty —It allows threat detection to guard your AWS accounts and workloads.
- Amazon RDS- This AWS service is easy to establish, manage, and scale a relational database in the cloud.
- Amazon DynamoDB- It is a quick, completely managed NoSQL database service. It is an easy service that allows for cost-effective storage and retrieval of data. It too lets you serve all levels of request traffic.
- Amazon ElastiCache- This is a web service that makes it simple to deploy, manage, and scale an in-memory cache in the cloud.
- Neptune- It is a quick, secure and scalable graph database service.
- Amazon RedShift – It is Amazon’s data warehousing solution that you can use to run complex OLAP queries.
- Athena — This analytics service provides perm SQL queries on your S3 bucket to get files.
- CloudSearch — It offers to create a fully managed search engine for your website.
- ElasticSearch — It is alike to CloudSearch. However, it gives more features like application monitoring.
- Kinesis — This AWS analytics service assists you to run and examining real-time data on a large scale.
- QuickSight —It is a marketing analytics tool. It encourages you to build visualizations in a dashboard for data in Amazon Web Services. For example, S3, DynamoDB, etc.
- EMR (Elastic Map Reduce) —This AWS analytics service largely used for big data processing like Spark, Splunk, Hadoop, etc.
- Data Pipeline — Empowers you to transfer data from one spot to another. For example from DynamoDB to S3.
- CloudWatch — Cloud watch encourages you to control AWS environments like EC2, RDS instances, and CPU utilization. It additionally triggers alarms depends on many metrics.
- CloudFormation — It is a method of utilizing infrastructure within the cloud. You can use templates for producing a complete production environment in minutes.
- CloudTrail — It allows an effortless way of auditing AWS resources. It encourages you to log all modifications.
- OpsWorks — The service permits you to automated Chef/Puppet deployments on AWS environment.
- Config — This AWS service controls your environment. The tool gives alarms regarding modifications when you breach certain set configurations.
- Service Catalog — This service benefits big enterprises to empower which services users will be utilized and which won’t.
- AWS Auto Scaling — The service permits you to automatically scale your resources up and down based on assigned CloudWatch metrics.
- Systems Manager — This AWS service empowers you to assort your resources. It permits you to recognize problems and act on them.
- Managed Services—It allows the administration of your AWS infrastructure which empowers you to concentrate on your applications.
Internet of Things
- IoT Core— IoT Core is a managed cloud AWS service. The service provides connected devices like cars, light bulbs, sensor grids, to securely communicate with cloud applications and different devices.
- IoT Device Management — It permits you to control your IoT devices at each scale.
- IoT Analytics — This service is suitable to perform analysis of data obtained by your IoT devices.
- Amazon FreeRTOS — This real-time operating system for microcontrollers encourages you to attach IoT devices in the local server or within the cloud.
- Step Functions — It is a tone of reflecting what’s performing inside your application and what many microservices it is handling.
- SWF (Simple Workflow Service) — The service benefits you to organize both automated tasks and human-led tasks.
- SNS (Simple Notification Service) — You can apply this service to send your notifications in the kind of email and SMS based on given AWS services.
- SQS (Simple Queue Service) — It is a pull-based service. Use to decouple your applications.
- Elastic Transcoder — This AWS service tool assists you to convert a video’s format and resolution to carry various devices like tablets, smartphones, and laptops of various resolutions.
Deployment and Management
- AWS CloudTrail: AWS CloudTrail records AWS API calls and sends backlog data to you.
- Amazon CloudWatch: This service monitors AWS resources like EC2 and RDS DB Instances. It also empowers you to control custom metrics created by user’s applications and services.
- AWS CloudHSM: This AWS service benefits you to reach corporate, administrative, and contractual, agreement requirements for managing data protection by applying the Hardware Security Module(HSM) tools inside the AWS environment.
- CodeStar — This AWS service is a cloud-based service for building, maintaining, and working with many software development plans on AWS.
- CodeCommit — This AWS service is a version control service that allows you to save your code and other assets secretly in the cloud.
- CodeBuild — This developer service support you to automates the process of developing and compiling your code.
- CodeDeploy — It is a method of deploying your code into EC2 instances automatically.
- CodePipeline — It benefits you to build a deployment pipeline like building, testing, authentication, deployment on development and production environments.
- Cloud9 — This AWS service is an Integrated Development Environment for writing, running, and debugging code in the cloud.
- Mobile Hub — Permits you to configure, add and design features for mobile apps.
- Cognito — Grants users to signup using his or her social id, like Facebook, Google, etc.
- Device Farm — Device farm assists you to enhance the quality of apps by instantly testing numbers of mobile devices.
- AWS AppSync —It is a completely managed GraphQL service that allows real-time data synchronization and offline programming features.
- Alexa for Business — It allows your business with voice, utilizing Alexa. It will assist you to Allows you to create custom voice experiences for your business.
- Chime — Can be utilized for online meetings and video conferencing.
- WorkDocs — Benefits to save records in the cloud
- WorkMail — Empowers you to send and receive business emails.
Desktop & App Streaming
- WorkSpaces — Workspace is a VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure). It empowers you to work on remote desktops in the cloud.
- AppStream — A process of running desktop applications to your users in the web browser. For example, working on MS Word in Google Chrome.
- Lex — Lex tool encourages you to develop chatbots quickly.
- Polly — It is a text-to-speech service that allows you to build audio versions of your notes.
- Rekognition — It is a face recognition service. This AWS service assists you to recognize faces and objects in images and videos.
- SageMaker — Sagemaker permits you to create, train, and deploy machine learning models at every scale.
- Transcribe — It is another speech-to-text service that allows high-quality and affordable transcriptions.
- Translate — It is a pretty similar tool to Google Translate which permits you to translate text in one language to different.
AR & VR (Augmented Reality & Virtual Reality)
- Sumerian — Sumerian is a collection of tools for giving high-quality virtual reality (VR) experiences on the web. The service permits you to build interactive 3D views and publish it as a website for users to reach.
- Amazon Connect — Amazon Connect permits you to construct your customer care hub in the cloud.
- Pinpoint — Pinpoint assists you to know your users and engage with them.
- SES (Simple Email Service) — Benefits you to send bulk emails to your clients at a comparatively cost-effective rate.
- GameLift– It is a service that is managed by AWS. You can utilize this service to host dedicated game servers. It permits you to ascend seamlessly without taking your game offline.
Applications of AWS services
AWS services are broadly adopted for different computing purposes like:
- Website hosting
- Application hosting
- Media Sharing
- Social and Mobile Applications
- Content transfer and Media Distribution
- Storage, backup, and recovery
- Development and testing environments
- Academic Computing
- Search Engines
- Social Networking
Companies using AWS
Advantages of AWS
- AWS permits companies to use previously well-known programming models, operating systems, databases, and architectures.
- This is a cost-effective service that permits you to pay just for what you utilize, without any up-front or long-term promises.
- You will not need to pay money on running and maintaining data hubs.
- Allows quick deployments
- You can quickly add or remove capability.
- You are approved to cloud access immediately with boundless capability.
- The entire Expense of Use is so cheap compared to any private/dedicated servers.
- Proposes Centralized Billing and control
- Proposes Hybrid Capabilities
- Permits you to deploy your application in various regions around the globe with simply a few clicks
Disadvantages of AWS
- If you require more urgent or fast support, you’ll have to opt for a paid support plan.
- AWS may have some basic cloud computing problems when you migrate to a cloud. For example, downtime, limited control, and backup protection.
- AWS sets default boundaries on resources that differ from region to region. These resources consist of images, volumes, and snapshots.
- Hardware-level modifications happen to your application which may not give the most reliable performance and usage of your applications.
Best practices of AWS
- You require to design for failure, but zero will fail.
- It’s necessary to decouple all your components ere using AWS services.
- You need to hold dynamic data closer to compute and static data closer to the user.
- It’s necessary to understand security and performance tradeoffs.
- Pay for computing capacity by the hourly payment plan.
- Make a way of a one-time payment for every instance you want to reserve and to get a notable discount on the hourly cost.